Manuel Pellegrini: Man City Cup win can inspire domestic treble
- A defender, Manuel Pellegrini spent his entire playing career at Universidad Chile, making more than 450 appearances
- Retired in 1986 and took his first managerial role the following year at Palestino
- Has taken charge of 10 teams in total including Villarreal (2004-09), Real Madrid (2009-10) and Malaga
- Won league titles in Ecuador and Argentina and the Intertoto Cup with Villarreal in 2004
Aston Villa came from behind and eased their relegation worries with four goals in 15 minutes in a ruthless first-half display against Norwich.
Wes Hoolahan side-footed Norwich ahead but Christian Benteke struck twice in two minutes - a superb volley and a header - to put his side in front.
A clinical counter-attack ended with Leandro Bacuna's curling effort.
Sebastien Bassong's own goal added to Norwich's woes and the Canaries remain close to the drop-zone.
Norwich, who would have hoped to capitalise on last week's 1-0 victory over Tottenham, are four points ahead of 18th placed Sunderland, but the League Cup finalists have played two fewer games.
The Canaries' final four league matches of the season are against Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.
But momentum swung Villa's way in an astonishing 15-minute period and the boos were soon replaced by roars of approval.
Benteke inspired the revival and his first goal was breathtaking. With his back to goal the Belgian beautifully controlled Ron Vlaar's hopeful ball into the box with his chest and, with a shuffle of the hips, volleyed beyond a helpless John Ruddy.
The striker's second was a simple close-range header from an Ashley Westwood corner but equally as effective.
Norwich were shell-shocked and Villa took advantage as Gabriel Agbonlahor, Andreas Weimann and Bacuna counter-attacked with pace, with the latter curling his strike into the far post.
The visitors then struck a nail into their own coffin when Bassong, under pressure from Agbonlahor, directed Fabian Delph's cross into his own net.
It was only the second time Aston Villa had scored four goals in the first half of a Premier League match. The last time they did so was in their 7-1 win against Wimbledon in February, 1995.
Villa had not scored in three league matches prior to this match so it was perhaps optimistic to expect them to repeat their free-scoring first-half exploits after the break.
Agbonlahor should have extended his team's advantage but instead headed Delph's cross straight at Ruddy. The former England forward was denied once more by Ruddy in the dying minutes as the onrushing goalkeeper saved with his legs.
But they were misses which had little impact on a game which ended Villa's four-match winless run in the league and secured them just their third win in 15 matches.
Check out the best photos from Sunday's Premier League matches on the BBC Sport Facebook page.
England new-boy Luke Shaw is carefully watched by coach Gary Neville as he takes part in his first training session with the senior squad.
Southampton left-back Shaw, 18, is hoping to make his debut in Wednesday's friendly against Denmark at Wembley.
We will hear from members of Roy Hodgson's squad in their pre-match news conference in about half an hour. Stay tuned to Sportsday for all the key lines.
Real Madrid coped with 'violent' Atletico, says Carlo Ancelotti
Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti was pleased to see his side cope with "violent" Atletico to secure a point that keeps them top of La Liga.
Cristiano Ronaldo's late strike rescued a 2-2 draw for Real in a fiercely-contested derby at the Vicente Calderon stadium on Sunday.
The result means Real are one point clear of title rivals Barcelona.
"They [Atletico] tried to impose a violent game. We tried to play and in the end we did it," said Ancelotti.
"We drew a game that we were losing.
"The response was good and overall we can be satisfied because Atletico are a good team, particularly at home.
"We're top and that's good. Now we have seven games at home and five away."
Karim Benzema opened the scoring for Real but strikes from Koke and Gabi gave Atletico a 2-1 lead at the break.
Tempers flared in the second half when Atletico assistant coach German Burgos had to be restrained on the touchline after striker Diego Costa had a penalty appeal turned down.
Ronaldo's goal eight minutes from time extended Real's unbeaten run in all competitions to 28 games, and kept them three points clear of third-placed Atletico.
"I always say that the result is what it is. What matters to me is the way in which it comes about and the team showed that it [the title challenge] is still alive," said Atletico coach Diego Simeone.
"There are still 12 games left, which is a lot. For us to be just three points behind is a very good position to be in."
Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti is pleased his side coped with "violent" Atletico to secure an important point.
No comments:
Post a Comment